In the past 10-20 years we’ve gone from the days of communicating in-person and via handwritten letters to clicking “Add Friend” or “Follow” on social media networks. No longer is it a case of “I’ve never had a conversation with this person before, so I don’t know them” as it has now become “I’ll add this person to my friends list because they’re friends with my friend.” Social media has eliminated physical limitations and allows us to connect with others anywhere in the world. As such many are happy to share their lives, celebrations and experiences; while others relish in the vast business opportunities which barely existed years ago.
If you’re one of the many entrepreneurs or business owners who utilize social media for your marketing efforts and communicating with clients, it’s best practice to ensure that your social networking profiles represent you and your brand/business. How do you do that? Here are a few tips:
- Clean up your digital footprint (embarrassing photos, memes, posts, videos, anything you don’t want viewed by others)
- Never post your personal confidential information online
- Never post your personal problems online
- If you have to think twice about posting something (a status update, meme, photo, video, etc.) – don’t post it
- Communicate and engage with your audience and clients
- Reduce self-promotion and instead provide your audience (and clients) with valuable content
- Support others with their business ventures and they’ll return the favour
Remember, businesses and companies are viewing your profiles too, not just your family and friends.
How does your social media presence represent you and your business?
Share your thoughts and tips in the comments below.